The following guidelines provide an overview of belt tensioning procedures using a sonic tension meter or the Hutchinson® Easy Tension app for Trac Vision® or TracPhone® KVH V7 HTS antenna motor/belt replacements.
Easy Tension App
Easy Tension is a smartphone application created by our Belt Drive Systems activity. Using your smartphone microphone, you may test the frequency and tension of Hutchinson belts (Flexonic®, Poly V®, Conveyxonic®, HPPTM, and so forth).
It can be used in the following situations:
- Installing a new belt
- Changing a belt
- Checking the tension of present drive systems is all that is required.
- To extend the life of power transmission belts, they must be adjusted to the proper tension. This free program is available on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store in seven languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, and Russian). Following the release of its Conveyxonic® Wizard app, Hutchinson will be able to further increase its position in these marketplaces.
Don’t hesitate to download the Easy Tension app and spread the word to your friends and colleagues to assure even more success!
Using the Easy Tension App
Refer to the instructions below to measure the belt tension with the Hutchinson Easy Tension app and the smartLav+ Lavalier microphone. If necessary, use a ligtning port to 3.5mm jack adapter to attach the microphone to your iPhone®.
NOTE: The Hutchinson® Easy Tension app is available as an Apple® iOS or Android® app. Download it for free from the Apple iTunes App Store® or Google PlayTM Store. The smartLav+ Lavalier microphone is available from any RÆDE retailer.
- Start the app on your smartphone and select Tension Meter
- Tap the empty check box next to I know the weight of my belt (more precise) and enter the following properties (screenshot of the app)
- Belt length (mm): 657.1
- Belt weight (g): 15.5
- Span Length (mm): 165.2
- Tap measurement to begin.
- Holding the microphone approximately 1/4” (0.6 cm) from the belt, gently pluck the belt until the app displays a green checkmark and a final tension based on the average reading taken.
Adhere to the guidelines below as your measure belt tension.
Using a Sonic Tension Meter KVH V7 HTS
Refer to the instructions below to measure the belt tension with a sonic tension meter.
Configure the sonic tension meter to measure belt tension using the following properties.
- Unit of measure: Frequency (Hz)
- Mass: 2.4 g/m
- Width: 10.0 mm/r
- Span: 200 mm
NOTE: Your antenna might differ from the one shown in the above photo and, subsequently, the motor belt may be located in a different or less accessible part of the antenna.
Hold the sonic tension meter microphone approximately 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) from the belt, then gently pluck the belt and note the current belt tension frequency. See the photo above.
Adhere to the guidelines below as you measure belt tension.
Belt Tension Measurement Guidelines
NOTE: If you are replacing the motor, inspect the belt for wear and replace as necessary. Refer to your motor and belt replacement instructions for details.
Adhere to the following guidelines as you measure belt tension:
- You MUST pluck only the motor belt. Striking any other component will distort the sonic tension measurement.
- Hand-tighten the motor’s mounting screws for initial measurement, then properly torque the screws and check the belt tension again, adjusting as necessary.
- Measure the belt tension at the midpoint of the visible span and at least two other points along the full length of the belt.
- Loosen and tighten the motor screws and adjust the motor position (away from the belt for more tension; towards the belt for less tension), as needed, until the tension at all measured points is within the acceptable range as in the table 1 and table 2 below.
KVH V7 HTS TracPhone and TracVision Antenna Belt Tension Settings
Refer to Table 1 and Table 2 while measuring the belt tension.
Table 1: TracPhone Belt Tension Settings KVH V7 HTS
|V30/ V3-HTS V3-IP||Azimuth||200-361 Hz|
|Elevation (Upper)||175-280 Hz|
|Elevation (Lower)||400-610 Hz|
|V11-HTS/ V11-IP||Azimuth||195-270 Hz|
Table 2: TracVision Belt Tension Settings KVH V7 HTS
|Elevation (Upper)||180-280 Hz|
|Elevation (Lower)||150-230 Hz|
|UHD7 / HD7||Azimuth||135-190 Hz|
|Elevation (Upper)||130-190 Hz|
|Elevation (Lower)||210-310 Hz|
|HD11/ TV10||Azimuth||195-270 Hz|
If you need technical assistance, please contact KVH Technical Support.
|North/South America, Australasia: |
Phone: +1 401 847-3327
|Europe, Middle East, Asia-Pacific, Africa:|
Phone: +45 45 160 180